Did you notice I said "life" and not "career"? Leadership development may or may not be something you do for your job. Whether in our job or our personal life, we all have had, or will have, the opportunity to influence others. Whether by authority or decision to lead, individuals should be ready for the call to lead.
Investing in Yourself
The theme of the 2016 Wildland Fire National Leadership Campaign is "Never Stop Learning." One way to prepare for the call to leadership is to adopt a plan of continuous learning. Effective leaders are always looking for new resources to expand their minds and hone old skills or develop new ones. Prudent leaders should heed the advice of financial planners and invest early and often, and then watch the fruits of their efforts grow.
Here is a short list of things can you do to invest in yourself:
- Define yourself
- Develop a new skill
- Acknowledge your talents
- Spend time by and for yourself
- Devote time to your development
- Stretch yourself beyond your comfort zone
- Watch and share "Invest in Yourself."
- What other ways can you invest in yourself?
- What changes will you make today to invest in yourself?
- Visit the Wildland Fire Leadership Development Program Toolbox for investment resources.